Wednesday 2 May 2012

Gardening

The very beginning of getting into gardening is a really exciting time. Maybe even the most exciting. I'll tell you later, when I'm through to the next stage:)
To my mind the most important thing is to observe, and having lots of free time I definitely have time for that. I keep checking on the seeds and seedlings  that I've planted several times per day to see how they are doing, maybe they need water, more soil, more sun, less sun, etc... All the decisions I make and the strategies I employ are mostly inspired by my own intuition. I guess it's a bit like having a baby and when it cries you have to try different things to see what it is that he wants.
As well as learning gardening from doing it (which I think is the best way) I, like a new mother, look for helpful sources that give all the answers to your questions. Here I found some worthy websites. This is a forum for people growing from seeds. Even though I haven't been using permaculture in  gardening yet, I think it is the way to easy and pleasant gardening. Since I have got only the balcony for growing my stuff, I found this link about balcony permaculture quite helpul, and I surely will be trying things out.  And here is Cecilia's blog on many things, permaculture, but not only, which is really inspirational.

And for the end, here are my little pepper seedlings, they grow just a bit higher than that, and you can use them as a herb in salads, sandwiches, etc... It's the most observed plant in my balcony garden so far, but it's not doing as well as I'd like it to. Or maybe I'm a too demanding mother. If I leave them in the balcony, they dry up quickly, if I cover them with a plastic bag, they start having white fuzz around the stem. I left them for couple of hours without the cover and the fuzz seemed to disappear. So much care and time for such little seedlings.




No comments:

Post a Comment